Sunday, September 11, 2011

Meningitis

Time to record another first in your life. Your first hospitalization.
Yes, I wish it had come at a much later date, but like your Dad likes to remind me good luck, bad luck who knows?
Upon returning from our vacation you started complaining of a very bad headache and developed a fever. We took you to the doctors office at 10am on Monday Aug 29th.

And this was you at 11:30 am: already hospitalized; awaiting for your breakfast to be completely digested, so you could be given the anesthesia for a lumbar puncture.

You were in pain and lethargic. 
Your Dad and I were besides ourselves.

Life has dealt me my fair share of scary moments; but sweetie, I have never been as scared as I was that day at the hospital. I had two overpowering feelings that still make my eyes water, FEAR and LOVE.

By 2 pm you were out of the lumbar puncture and an hour later we had confirmation that you had meningitis. More tests would have to be performed to determine whether it was viral or bacterial meningitis, but the liquid extracted during the puncture had already relieved much of the pressure in your head and you were already looking better.

Your Dad and I took turns laying next to you on your hospital bed.

The next morning you started to smile.
That morning, I took what felt like my first breath.

You were improving quickly just with the anti inflammation medication, which suggested you had the less dangerous viral meningitis, which was later confirmed beyond a doubt.

Your Grandma Emy and Grandpa surprised you by flying into Quito to care for you and your stressed out parents ;)

Your spirits improved even more that day. 
Thank you mom and dad for always being there <3.

By Wednesday, you were back to your old self and we were simply ecstatic. 
Even though we still worry that there may be some residual effects from this illness, we are hopeful they will be temporary.

Today I am grateful for our health (in whichever shape it is) because it allows us to enjoy each other one more day.

video
I am also grateful for all the songs you like to make up.
I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Ayy julita, que susto nos pegaste! Te queremos muchisimo!!! Tita y Tio Andrew

    ReplyDelete

 
Serendipity template design by Deluxe Designs